Prep: 30 minutes plus standing
Deep-Fry: 40 minutes • Serves: 12
1 (12- to 14-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed, if necessary
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1. Read manufacturer’s manual carefully. Prepare turkey fryer as manufacturer directs, making sure you use a deep-fat thermometer to monitor the temperature. Add oil to pot and cover; heat oil to 375° over medium-high heat.
2. Remove giblets, neck and liver from thawed turkey; reserve giblets and neck for another use, if desired, and discard liver. Remove and discard ring holding turkey legs together and pop-up timer, if necessary. Rinse turkey with cold running water; pat inside and outside completely dry with paper towels.
3. In small bowl, stir remaining ingredients; sprinkle inside turkey cavity and outside of turkey, patting lightly so it adheres. Slide turkey hook into the turkey, breast cavity first, with the hook coming out the opposite end of the turkey (or place the turkey in the turkey basket with legs pointing up). Turn off burner as manufacturer directs to eliminate flame. Securely attach the lifting hook to the turkey hook (or basket). Put on oven mitts, and very carefully lower turkey into hot oil. Remove lifting hook; turn on flame.
4. Fry turkey, uncovered, 40 minutes (about 3-1/2 minutes per pound) or until internal temperature reaches 160° in thickest part of thigh, making sure thermometer doesn’t touch bone, and adjusting fryer temperature as necessary to maintain oil temperature between
325 and 350°.
5. To remove turkey from oil, turn off flame. Carefully reattach lifting hook. Lift turkey from oil, holding turkey over pot of oil briefly to allow any excess oil to drip into fryer. Place turkey on its hook onto large rimmed baking pan to check internal temperature; let stand 10 minutes. Transfer turkey to cutting board; cover loosely with foil and let stand 10 minutes longer. (Internal temperature will rise 5 to 10° upon standing.) Remove turkey hook before carving.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
645 Calories, 52g Fat, 10g Saturated Fat, 155mg Cholesterol, 453mg Sodium,
1g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 0g Sugars, 0g Added Sugars, 42g Protein